Monday, September 25, 2006

Just Call Me PicassNo




I'm sitting here watching Miami Ink, that reality show on TLC about tattoo artists and their clients, and I simply cannot imagine what it takes to be able to do that. Not getting the tattoo - I won't do it, but can picture why you would - but drawing it.

I can't draw. I mean - really. My friend Caroline told me the same thing at our sophomore year art class, before she promptly whipped out her pencil, drew this perfect representation of her hand, looked at me, and said: "See? I told you I can't draw." Shut up.

This has happened many times since. People claim they can't draw, and okay, maybe they're no Picasso, but they can draw a horse and make it look like a horse. Me? I draw a horse and it looks like a hot dog. Actually, everything I draw sort of looks like a hot dog, and sometimes a peanut. Maybe I'm just hungry? When I was little, I used to ask my mom what I should draw and - I swear to God - she'd always answer: "A sailboat." I was infuriated, because I couldn't draw a sailboat, and why couldn't she ever come up with something else? I quickly realized, though, that the problem did not lie in her lack of brainstorming capabilities, but with me, myself, and I. People try to give me little tips, thinking they'll be the ones to crack the code, but nope; there's nothing to be done.

I've accepted this means certain professions are closed to me. Namely, anything that requires me to stand before people and try to get across a message pictorially. Art teacher, teacher in general, Win, Lose, or Draw contestant. I used to get kind of depressed about this, but I'm slowly geting used to it. Especially since tonight my meditation teacher (yes, I know, how very LA of me) told me I'm a spiritual healer. Hmm. I think that trumps art teacher?

3 comments:

  1. please blog more about your meditation teacher IMMEDIATELY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you explain why you are so good at Pictionary?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goog, Nice Photo, Welome To My NFL Jerseys Online Shop! The colts' Cheap Jerseys decision on Monday night, the Cheap NFL Jerseys game against pirates, let Curtis-Painter, (Curtis Painter) will be the first time for the colts' NFL Jerseys starting at the beginning of the NFL Jersey season, the introduction of kerry Collins Cheap NFL Jersey injury-last week after striking out, there is still a concussion symptoms, not be fit for NFL Football Jerseys Monday night race.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.