Monday, December 03, 2007

Maybe the reason I had no bum

Pretty apropos of nothing, I was thinking today about high school babysitting and the strange dance with food we all danced while doing it.

At the beginning of your night, the Mrs. or (the horror) the Mr. would give you a little tour of their kitchen, saying "Help yourself to anything you can find! I'm so sorry - there's nothing to eat!" Which was either glaringly apparent or a blatant lie. She would laugh a little and perform the cursory opening of the cabinets and fridge, without revealing anything; you nodded and smiled anyways.

But you could already tell by that time where your night was going. Houses with the heat on and activated cable harbored goods like Doritos and Dove Bars, while the cold houses ("we have solar panels!") with "lots of movies, but no TV!" tended towards tofu, stale rice crackers and flat seltzer. You'd wave off the invite - "Oh, I already ate. But thanks, thanks" - knowing soon as they left, you'd grab anything remotely edible.

Why the eating had to be so secretive is still a mystery. One night I had just poured a big bowl of Froot Loops. As I dug in, I saw the flash of headlights and the sound of tires on gravel. I spit my mouthful into the trash, quickly pouring the rest down the sink. Total panic. I ran to the couch, put up my feet, "oh I've been here for hours", and flipped my Seventeen. I do believe I looked genuinely surprised when they opened the door.

1 comment:

  1. Moncler is truly a Moncler Coats casual and luxurious Moncler Jackets brand name.it's amongst Cheap Moncler Coats one of the Moncler Jackets most well-known Cheap Moncler Jackets manufacturers round the Cheap Moncler Jackets earth because it is Moncler Outlet dedicated to offering Kids Moncler Jackets the very greatest Moncler Jackets 2011 and in addition the most trendy Moncler 2012 clothes.it is Mens Moncler Jackets launched the Mens Moncler Sweaters significant Men's Moncler Coats outlines in order to Men's Moncler Jackets clothing,footwear as well as other Men's Moncler Sweaters Add-ons,for example Moncler Kid's Jackets bags,shower towels Womens Moncler Coats,cap Orheadband and Womens Moncler Jackets so forth.these types of Womens Moncler Down Jackets merchandise may be supplied Womens Moncler Long Down Jackets inside our Moncler 2012 shop.thank you for Moncler Bags likely to buying Womens Moncler Coats. These days,since the Moncler Bags intro associated with Moncler Boots culture,most Womens Moncler Long Down Jackets nations

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.