Friday, January 11, 2008

In which I'm exactly the same

When I was home for Christmas, I found a bunch of my old journals from elementary school laying around the house. I skimmed through a few, full of the usual volley between teacher and student. I'd write something lame and lazy about my weekend ("Ate pizza."), she'd write something cheerful and a little pathetic back ("Pizza is yummy!"). By the hectic sloppiness of my handwriting, it's easy to see I found all this ridiculous and not worth my time. An ever-recurring theme in my academic and professional life. Sometimes I just wrote: "Nothin' to say." Which is kind of awesome.

But one entry in particular, from 2nd grade, caught my attention. It went a little something like this:

Amy: We went to see Cinderella last night. It was okay. But the girl playing Cinderella was overweight! Her voice was okay though.

Teacher: What do you mean?! She wasn't fat at all!

Amy: I guess!

Snap!

Honestly, I'm a little bit mortified by all this (what must she have thought?!) but it's comforting to know there's such a thing as consistency in personality. And it's a good excuse for fights with friends and family. I've been judgmental and dismissive of authority since age 7! Can't change now! Gotta go!

2 comments:

  1. Trevor4:08 PM

    the browser i am using has little ability to communicate and is quite slow. i really think you should get down to business on figuring out this john black return. Stephano was asked if Marlena could take him down to which he responded "I guess so".

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more things change the more they stay the same.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.