Thursday, August 20, 2009

I think they need a new word for pregnant

Kind of like how they rebranded 'prunes' to 'dried plums'? I just find it so awkward, especially around those of the male persuasion. PREG-nant. PREGGGGNANT. See? Ew. Say it over and over and you'll start to shudder, too. Plus, getting that "Pr" sound out is a lot of work, just ask the 900 speech pathologists I have in my family. And I'm too tired to make difficult sounds.

Sometimes I just say "I'm having a baby", but I think that's bad in a different way. Because while, yes, eventually, this thing is coming out, it ain't coming out RIGHT NOW, while I'm eating my Reuben and fries, thanks. Furry and skinny and eyes-sealed-shut.

Also, is there some sort of hormone that kicks in second trimester that makes you want to EAT YOUR HUSBAND? Because I want to do just that. I want to whip out a spoon and dig in. He smells all delicious and looks all precious and, well, it's a little distracting, frankly. Kiss kiss smooch grab snuggle nuzzle dot com.

15 week bumpdate coming stat!

9 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!! how exciting. enjoy the sexual surge now, cause after baby comes it's toast.
    and so lucky you live in SF you go to that new Mani Nanni place that recently opened. best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eeee out of all the bloggies I read, I think I am
    most excited to share the preggers journey with you, I love you descriptions, they are so candid and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BUMPDATE STAT PLEASE.

    Also, here's help from Thesaurus.com. Just say "I'M GRAVID."

    Main Entry: pregnant
    Part of Speech: adjective

    Definition: carrying developing offspring within the body

    Synonyms: abundant, anticipating, carrying a child, enceinte, expectant, expecting, fecund, fertile, fraught, fruitful, gestating, gravid, heavy, hopeful, in family way, parous, parturient, preggers, productive, prolific, replete, teeming, with child

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't wait for the bumpdate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always thought "pregnant" is a super awkward word, like anything else related to female anatomy or processes. I can't say any of it - maybe there is therapy for that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy is fraught with child.

    That sorta has a nice ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh yes that is a weird word. I have to agree with emmysuh, your posts about your pregnancy makes me giddy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. don't you 'build' a robot?

    WIP Robot?

    ReplyDelete
  9. BEN HAHAHAHAHAHAH...

    is he the same one that said what the ding dang?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.