Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summing it up

Bear with me for two seconds, pals.

I spend a lot of time thinking how lucky I am to have Harps as my daughter. Clay and I always remark how sweet her soul is (and then quickly wonder where the hellz that comes from). She's sweet and smart and silly and has these blue eyes that just punch your gut.

But as much as I want to claim her as my, my, mine? I don't really like putting it that way. I always want her to think of herself as belonging to...herself. With mama and dadpants in her corner, always loving her the mostmostmost. But not owing us anything or feeling any pressure to be anything/anyone.

This (part of a) poem by (my fellow Lebanese dude!) Khalil Gibran explains beautifully how I feel about the whole thing. I heard this way back before I had my own bub and it gave me chills. I love it even more now.

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.


You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

(Clay's rolling his eyes right now, FYI.)
And...back to regularly scheduled cute fo-tos soon. 

8 comments:

  1. I like this, very sweet. I struggle daily going back and forth with wanting Bowie to do this or that and just letting him do what he wants and be what he wants. I just want him to be freer than I felt like I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always liked the concept that: a bird's job is to teach their chick's to fly well, and there's a lot to learn about flying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, i like that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Latha math !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy6:37 AM

    The last line of the poem really hits home for me. We all wish we had "overs" for some decisions we made, but the key is to not stay there. Needless to say, the early influence you have on Harper shapes many of her ideas and ways she looks at the world. You and Clay are having a major role in the little person she is becoming, but she does and will have her own tendencies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:26 AM

    Very detailed info. I am very happy to I found this entry.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:06 PM

    I couldn t agree more! good job! financial help

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:32 PM

    Good point, though sometimes it's hard to arrive to definite conclusions

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.