Sunday, November 21, 2010

There is nothing sadder

[[ insert a really sad, hoarse, and pukesmelly but somehow-lovely-thru-it-all baby picture ]]

I repeat -- NOTHING SADDER than a sick baby.

Chestnut started getting fussy Friday evening and by Saturday morning (after a night chockfull of unsleeping), was full-out sick. Hurling her cookies, choking on her snot fountain, wimpering like a wimperfish. Each time she reaches a new milestone, I make an imaginary check! First barf? This weekend! Gooooooo Harper!

The most pitiful moment -- and there were many -- came last night. Cuddled up on the couch together, we turned on Toy Story 3 before bedtime. She was looking chipper and had even enjoyed a small little nibble on some toast. When all of a sudden (cue slo mo cam)

Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke. And then a break. Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuke. And then a break. Puuuuuuuuuuuuuke.

And each time we both thought it was over. But it wasn't. And we were equally horrified and soaking wet and pathetic. I've got a serious vomit phobia, but I only felt sadsadsadsad and slightly panicked and wanted to make it stop and make her laugh again. Which, by some strange miracle, after getting it all out? She did. Ten minutes later, she was crawling toward her dada, naked in her berfday suit and ready for more Buzz Lightyear. Oh, babies! You so crazy.

So that was our weekend, really. Last night we took her into bed with us to make sure she was okay while she slept. Which was interesting. She wouldn't fall asleep until she was spooning me, both hands AND mouth firmly lodged in my hair, feet pushing off my back. Securely tree-frogged, she drifted off. But over time, she somehow turned perpendicular to me? Making a T with her little small sweaty form. And I'd move her and she'd cry and we'd nurse and she'd sleep and then treefrog and then T and then on and on and on.

But! There was no more puking and I got some much-loved snuggles and I "slept" easier knowing she was  cozy with her peoples.

She still won't eat food (this is really saying something), but is slowly on the mend. Just in time for a plane trip to Texas in two days where there will be bountiful new germs to sucker punch us once again! I give thanks for the giving-of-germz! I do, I do.

14 comments:

  1. christie4:47 AM

    Oh sadness!!! Poor Harps! I hope she makes a speedy recovery. Poor, sweet babe. There really is nothing more pathetic than a sick wee one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( :( :(
    *pets*

    I of course will be emailing you the first time this happens to Everly, as you might suspect.

    Hope the Harpsy-chord starts feeling better real soon. <3 Poor little baby doll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there really is NOTHING sadder! Poor you, poor Harps - I hope H feels much better very soon, that you all get some sleep, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor sick lady, that sounds awful enough for an adult but worse for a baby who doesn't really know what's going on and when it well end. Glad she's on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good gracious. I'm glad she's feeling better, but that sounds absolutely harrowing and awful for poor little H.

    Nice job getting through the first crazy sickness! Double nice job, because I 100% share your vomit phobia, so I'm super impressed that you're even functioning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought I could deal with the big V when I had kids, but somehow you are just so focused on feeling sorry for them and worrying about them that you don't have QUITE as much attention on being grossed out....Hang in there! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a random vomiting episode this weekend too and topped it off with pink eye for the week. It's really not as traumatizing for us anymore, because you just want to show your little one how calm you are. They can bounce back in no time if they see mom and dad happy.
    I hope she's on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you much, well-wishers! i passed along your lurve to the snuffle bug :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for the lady. And parents. Judy is right on; parenthood is not for the weak or faint-hearted. Can't wait to see you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Babes. Hope she's feeling much better. Bella had her first vom-moment a month ago and she was so scared by it that she clung to me right after it happened...and I was ok(ish) with it. And I share a MEGA HUGE EPIC vomit phobia with you. It's much better, but I did/do avoid certain activities with high possibility-of-other-people-vomiting (i.e. busride things for school events growing up, fairs of any sort, hate planes for that reason). And - just for fun - I thought you should know that the kid in front of me on the plane puked on the flight down to FL yesterday and I could see it (!!) on his dad's hand and I was strangely unmoved. Normally my heart would start it's freak-out thing and I would feel on-edge all day, but I've just had a few thoughts of it and it wasn't so bad. So I think maybe dealing with other kids vom situations gets a little better, too, after you live through it with your own baby.

    And novella complete.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ogod I remember Bowie's first puke too. I'm also not a fan of the pukez but somehow...we pulled through.
    AMAZING what you can put up with for the wee ones. Hope Harps is on the mend sooooon. xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. @nav: we're totally undergoing free exposure therapy for our phobia! how lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh noes! i hope the harpsicord feels better soon! and i hope the cowan clan has an awesome thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww! I hope you guys *all* are feeling good!!! XOXOXO.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.