Sunday, November 06, 2011

Oh, b! (Harper's favorite exclamation)

After breakfast at the Sugar Bowl. Happy girl at the Republican HQ. Am I raising Alex P. Keaton?

I admit I felt a little glum about our current digs the first few days here. Last week we were in a cozy, decorated-just-how-we-liked bungalow and suddenly we were in an apartment with a smelly hallway and paintings from hell/K-mart in our bedroom and yellow, un-hot water. But then I pulled my grumpy self together (and we got a new water heater) because ... this place is free, dude. Free. Stop yer mumbling and pull yourself together, woman.

Re-arranged the furniture some. Scattered little play stations for Harps (tiny to-die-for IKEA cups/saucers with a doll to feed, stickers/paper, library book piles, crayons/coloring books, train set), stocked the fridge with foods we love, bought a red mum for the mantle, put on some Raffi. It's amazing how much a few days of living and some effort can do to revamp a vibe.

Other than getting settled and un-jetlagged/travel traumatized, we spent the weekend driving around all the little towns we might live in. Trying breakfast places and playgrounds, zipping down side streets and peeking thru windows. I admit I didn't know a dang thing about Connecticut before moving here, but hooooeeeee is it beautiful down here. (See how I call it down? Because I'm from Mass and now spend all my time in Maine? Heh.) This particular section is all along the ocean...but then there's lakes and ponds and creeks and, well, just a hell ton of water. I love water. I missed the water. I'm happy.

Of course with all this loveliness, comes crazy high price tags. So it'll be interesting to see where we choose to settle. Smaller/funkier house, but perfect town? Bigger house/land, but a little more remote? I know you're on the edge of your seats.

Off to bed! Way too late as usual. (I just saw a local news segment about a cat who survived for months alone in an airport? Yeah, it's time to go.)

3 comments:

  1. those corp housing spots are always a bit sterile, just keep chanting 'Free, Free, Free!' and then dollar cost average with the price of the new rentals and they'll seem cheaper! :) And so jealous that you have the space to have play centers!! may I put in a request for a yard with a big grill?? ;) we'll supply the big steaks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. She a sweetie....oh B!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @leanora: oh, there's not much space here!! my stations are very ... compact. :) i spread out little chunks of things for her to do, so when she's wandering around looking to make trubs, she'll find a tea party instead. it actually works sometimes! when we DO get outta here, we'll def get somewhere with a yard and party with you guys inDEED.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.