Thursday, December 08, 2011

Treats

Yes.

Ever since my mom helped me get through the horrors of seventh grade (people were kissing-with-tongue and drinking wine coolers in basements while I listened on repeat to Abbey Road and re-read Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself in protest of my new teenage status) by taking me out for brownie sundaes at Johnson's, I've wholeheartedly believed in treats to get me through slow work days or long winters or bad headaches or Tuesdays.

But I'm talkin little treats here -- that's the key, I think. It's often a happier high to get a five dolla sumpin sumpin than a crazy big purchase. A travel size hand lotion, an eggnog latte, a...maple syrup candle in a vintage tin with a wooden wick that crackles. You smell me. I've been lighting that puppy up whenever I have a second to myself and it (I almost typed "lifts me up" which is really frightening) makes me all holly jolly. Silly maybe? But it works. Now if I could only find the Christmas lights amidst all these dang boxes...

Harper's treat? Long, long sessions of water play with abundant pumps of method cucumber dish soap. (Also, she got a chocolate milk after the library today. And patted her mouth with napkin in between each delicate sip. Oh, b!)


Smush.

2 comments:

  1. I'll take the syrup. Moving here from Canada and having the fake stuff, ugh dear God it was awful. I've just about converted everyone I know to the real kind. That's an awesome candle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little treats are the best! I definitely splurge on real maple syrup, and the occasional latte... the other day I went to Target for diapers just WANTING to buy something festive. Came out with candy canes, mint chocolate soymilk, and sparkly red nail polish =)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.