Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A day to put in my pocket

Um. Kinda hot.

 So...I'm tired tired tired. (Nope, not knocked up.) (I feel like whenever I say I'm tired, peeps think ooohhhhh? No.) But I want to jot down yesterday so I can look back and go yes! That was a very non-mom and awesome day. After a group nap (George and Jones and me), I got the missus lookin' all cute, drove us south, and dropped her with cc at work. A little unofficial Take Yo' Daughter to Work Day. She was so cute and so proud in her yellow rain jacky and apple boots, coloring on his dry erase board with markers, waving me off with a confident "Bye bye, Mommy! I coloring in my apple boots!"

And I hopped in the Subie and drove (thru the rain rain rain) to Manhattan, parked in Times Square (dawg, driving/parking might be semi-pricey... but it is WONDERFUL) and met up with my dear old friend Matt. He'd invited me to a supa hot show (closing in a few days and the main chick just won the Tony... at 2 years younger than us, we were disturbed/depressed to discover) called Venus in Fur. Ow ow! Spicy and yummy and I really did love it. (Even if it made me question my every career choice/decision to leave theater...)

Then we ran thru the rain a few blocks to a Mexican restaurant and climbed stairs to a lofted area and ate pomegranate guacamole and cricket tacos (he made me!) and tres leches cake. It was all cozy and warm in there and the food was delicious and we gossiped and took our time and the rain fell and I yawned and got full and felt all giddy I was there. Then Matt walked me to my car and off I sped to Connecticut.

Usually I feel mopey leaving the city and tho it started that way, lights and towers behind me, as I pulled into my little cottage under the trees, with the rain pitter pattering around me and a deer giving me the fish eye, I felt this overwhelming happiness. Because woah; I can zip into this amazing city and sit with an old/true friend and zip back and here is my beautiful sleeping toddler, curled in her bed, and my dog asleep in his and my cc -- who'd taken over the homefront and shooed me into the city -- waiting for me under quilts, and thisismylife and tho there are challenges and bumps and hey, maybe HJ woke me up at 4:40 for the day this morning and I wore a gigantic Homer Simpson shirt and dirty hair all day and ate McDonald's for lunch  ... it's all mine and all real and all so very good.



9 comments:

  1. Ewwww 4:40 is so not an okay wake up time. What I do when Jane wakes up early is go lay on the floor of the playroom (cause if I lay on the couch she just wants to get up and jump on me) with a pillow and blanket and sort of with one eye pretend to watch her play while she sits on my pillow. It works pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a trick of mine, too! Unfortch... she's very verbal/demanding/crazy these days! Once she runs to her bedroom door and yells "Goo' morning, Mommy!" nothing will do but a trip downstairs and breakfast and yada yada. Sighsighsigh. This too shall pass??

      Delete
  2. This post makes me smile :) It's so nice to have some fun "non-mom" time, especially when it makes you appreciate your "mom time" even more!
    Also...cricket tacos???? Like REAL crickets????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! Real! Oh my.

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite posts ever of yours.

    Also w/Mama T: REAL crickets? Crunchy? Fried? More deets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so, I'm afraid. Really crunchy and fried. Or no, I mean...roasted? They were really smokey and complex. Not like chicken, oh no.

      (And thanks for liking!)

      Delete
  4. yup, sounds like the warm chaos of a blissful life. so glad you're enjoying it! hmmm, i've had to buy crickets for the classroom geiko. she likes them; never tried them myself though. they weren't still chirping in the taco, were they? crunch, crunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounded like chirping, honestly... still ringing in my ears. ;)

      Delete
  5. So crickets are crunchy and smoky and spicy... I think they roast them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.