Wednesday, June 06, 2012

This, more often than not, is how Harper eats



A few months back, outside Quaker school, while the kiddos played on the (slightly terrifying) playground, a couple of the moms and I were chatting. We were just getting to know each other and our parenting styles -- "OH! You nursed till 18 months!" "Ohhhh you hated babywearing?!" etc. etc. etc. ohmygod how are we still able to summon the strength to discuss these things?! -- and the topic came round to mealtime.

I think the specific discussion was surrounding whether you make your kid eat what you eat or cook something separate. And my answer was -- well... neither?  Which isn't exactly true. Because I tend to "make" her something different, but I sure as hell am not cooking it.

So I explained how her suppers (and lunches...and breakfasts) are usually little plates of things. Like above: Cheese slices, apple slices, a spoonful of peanut butter. And then a glass of water or milk. Or she'll have a dollop of sauteed kale, a pile of raisins, and some whole wheat bread. Some tofu cubes, sliced strawberries, and a pile of Cheerios.

You get it.

I felt a little sheepish admitting my ways -- not because Harps doesn't often eat/like what we eat (which she does, for sure, at least a couple nights a week, even if it's only a small portion) but because so often her food isn't even cooked. It's like weird little piles of cold or raw or whatever things.

But then my friend Amy was all: "Oh, that's totally European!" And I fell in love with her. And then last week she told me about this new restaurant in NYC that's super popular and they serve small little piles of things, including a dessert of Nutella on a spoon.

So...yeah. I'm just very hip on purpose, natch. Look for my method on Pinterest starting never.


15 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:41 PM

    It's actually pretty common. Look up muffin tin meals.

    My daughter only eats if it comes in a silacone muffin tin. And won't eat meat of any sort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to buy a bunch of those! Great idea.

      Delete
  2. I am so starting that. Right now T only eats if it is meat or blueberries. Anything else and it get pushed around. If only I could get him to touch kale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meat or blueberries! I love it. She's a berry gal FOR SURE.

      Try to sautee it with a bunch of evoo (or coconut oil) and plenty of salt/pepper? She inhales it that way!

      I'd kill for her to love proteins... It's really hard to get her full!

      Delete
  3. Starbucks Protein Pack box FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do muffin tin meals too! Usually just for lunch, but I've found that it's a great way to get the kids to try a new food because it is being served to them in a fun way.
    Unless we want to eat mac & cheese, pb&j, or chicken and broccoli every night for dinner, there is no way everyone in our household is eating the same thing for every meal. I have one picky eater and one phenomenal eater. I generally give my children the same meal that my husband and I are eating, but they pretty much never eat it, or at least Lilah never does. But at least I try, right?! I usually end up letting Lilah have a smoothie or yogurt in addition to her untouched dinner. Parenting fail, I know. But it's just not worth the battle, in my eyes.
    To be honest, you shouldn't feel guilty in the least. As long as your child is eating food, be happy! And she eats healthy foods, so that's even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks mama! I'll stop the guilt train ;)

      And dude i WISH Harps would take a smoothie/yogurt... it's a good meal sub! Honestly, just the fact that we're both thinking all this stuff over so much and offering them healthy foods and trying to keep it consistent is enough! And there's just so much we can control anyways -- everyone's got their own palates, I figure -- right?

      Delete
  5. I so, so, so love this post. From the "strength to discuss these things" part down to the actual meal...cold or microwaved, thrown-together, but as a whole nutritious. We are so there as well. Only I hadn't thought of the spiffy divided plates/muffin tins and will be picking some up soon-ish. See, you are a trend-setter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Isn't it truly amazing, tho, how we over and over and over again can discuss our labor/diapering/whatevering? Nuts.

      And I love that specific plate -- my dad gave it to Harps and I'll have to ask where it's from so I can stockpile more...

      Delete
  6. Hahaha I love it. I never really thought about it before, but this is pretty much how I feed Bowie too. I always wondered why people got so uppity about cooking separate food for toddlers/preschoolers rather than making one big family meal, I didn't see the big deal. But yeah, not actually doing any cooking makes it a lot easier. So trendy! So European! Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmmm Nutella spoon....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everly eats like this too. Does Harper eat like 1,000 times per day? E snacks ALL. DAY. LONG. No rhyme or reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does! Tho, I feel like I'm mostly to blame. I'm always hungry/thirsty and assume she is, too... so I'm like "hey! need a snack!" Trying to cut down on that somewhat ahem...

      Delete
  9. Also - looks like a prison platter.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.