Friday, July 13, 2012

Fridee

I accidentally just typed blogger.OM which, quite honestly, is the opposite of anything Blogger. Has everyone else abandoned ship for Wordpress long ago? I'm frustrated by this thing 79% of the time.

Anywho. Friday! Yeah!

I'm lo-ving life these past few days because I finally gave up/gave in/gave money and got some help up in here. My husband and my mom and my friends and probably even George had all told me to, but it felt like laziness. Or something. I'd kept the house at an okay level of clean (they're not gonna take me away to star on Hoarders, but I'm also not getting a Good Housekeeping seal of approval), but lately it was feeling even more overwhelming and yick. And I wasn't wanting to do the household things I really do like (cooking) because I was drained from keeping the rest of the ship afloat. 

Oh and our yard was just... a hot mess. We've been away a bunch and it's been so hot and it's just a tontonton of grass... and ivy-covered walls and all sortsa other encroaching green things. The idea of "lawn people" makes me feel all Westport and not-me, but let me tell you -- when those guys pulled in on their rider mowers, it made my heart sing. So now we have access to this big, crazy yard again and Harper and I found a giant mess of raspberry bushes (vines? brambles?) we didn't know was there and it's a new, fun activity for the hot summer hours. Or the very early morning hours... as she woke up at 5:15 this morning, begging to go pick "red raspberries peeeeze!" So we pulled on our boots and did just that. How Laura Ingalls.

And the cleaners oh, the cleaners! They worked and worked and worked and scrubbed and it just feels so incredibly fresh and nice and organized in here. Like, it cleared up my head in a way I forgot a clean house could do. The day after, I was suddenly crossing things off my to-do list I'd been avoiding and cooking a pot of beans/skillet cornbread/kale and snuggling my dog and staring at the shiny surfaces. I really can't believe how good it's made me feel. (Is that sad? I don't know or care.)

I'm on a help-is-flipping-amazing roll now and serendipitously just got an email from a friend for a sounds-very-wonderful daytime babysitter rec. She might only be available for the summer (Montessori teacher), but hey! I'mma grab her. A few hours to myself plus a clean house plus a lawn not up to my knees? Heavenly, luxurious* heaven. (Time to go walk my dog. That one's still all me.)

*Anyone (other than Matt) remember Bobby Trendy from the very, very, very old Anna Nicole Smith show? (I watched that...?!?!? Oh, college and its...substances.) He said everything was "luxuuuuuuuuuurious." It was awesome.

16 comments:

  1. Um YES. Loved him. Must Google him and figure out where he's at now.

    Did they do your baseboards and corners and all the places you never actually do? That sounds amazing and "totes" worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember his feather boa? He is very special.

      Oh, they did! And, like, organized my closets (!??!) and cleaned my microwave and organized my kitchen counters and my bedside table and omg. Really, really worth it. Woooo!

      Delete
  2. I could not do without the man who does my yard (while wearing a long-sleeved shirt in temps of 95-105, humidity 110%). You do sound in good spirits. Have really enjoyed the posts this week; have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once went to visit his shop in LA.

    Yep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched it too. I couldn't believe the amount of strawberry milk that girl consumed on the show.

    Help sounds like such a relief. My house is a mess but could be so much worse. Help will be here when number three arrives. I hope I can put that in my target registry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew that show had so many fans?! It was kind of incredible. The first season at least... (Just as the Jessica Simpson show season 1 was...) Strawberry milk ha!! Good call.

      Love that you're having #3! I really think gift certificates for cleaning/cooking etc is all people should purchase for anyone having a babe...

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:13 AM

    House cleaners are the BEST and they make me happy too :) worth every penny.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you telling me your mom always had them and it totally helped convince me! She's totally frugal and so if she thinks it's okay, I will too!! xo

      Delete
  6. Oh Bobby Trendy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Bobby Trendy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Bobby Trendy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was just reading something about how outward mess creates inner chaos and outward clean creates inner calm. i'mma bout to pull the trigger on some house cleaners. two things stopping me 1) i'll totally have the to clean for the cleaners because my house is *that* bad right now and 2) where do i go when they're here? can they come when i'm at work, and then we can all pretend it never happened? what's the etiquette on this one?

    p.s. BOBBY TRENDY! and RIP anna nicole smith. (like my viper? want my body?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) This was a big hold-up for me back in Denver and my friend who rec'd the company I chose told me I can leave things terrifying and they won't judge. And I did! Very freeing. You'll get a bit more bang for your buck if you tidy some, but try not to go crazy! This week, I totally left my weird bedside dishes out and crazy clothes on the floor and they dealt with them! It usually costs a semi-bundle, so I let them do it all... even if it's kind of humiliating and I'm sure they're saying terrible things about me in Portuguese. Wee!

      2) This is my LEAST favorite part. I hate having to get out of the house and/or hide in certain rooms... I'd say the first time or two, you should do a day when you're mostly around (just to make sure they're not scary thief people) and then you can make up a key etc for when you're at work. Then you can totally walk out the door in the morning with your house looking scary and walk back in after some happy hour drinks and it'll be magically sparkly. DO IT.

      p.s. lolololz re: viper... Oh, Anna. remember how much dental work she had to get each episode?! i just thought of that.

      Delete
    2. Our housecleaner just left us after three years so we're on the hunt for a new one - but I DEFINITELY leave. I'm there when they get there and then I sneak out. I leave money on the mantle for them. Way too weird to hang out.

      Delete
  10. I totally remember Bobby Trendy. My husband and I call each other Bobby Trendy sometimes, when one of us does/says something...Bobby-esque. Also, I feel like the last mom on earth not to hire cleaning people. And now I'm doing it sort of defiantly, because my SIL has really been pushing the issue lately. Like, "Oh, you *still* haven't called the cleaning people I told you about?" Our house isn't gross, but also isn't spotless like, ever. But with 2 cats and a preschooler, and being pregnant I mean, I think I'm doing pretty awesome. She has no pets and no children and a boyfriend/housemate who only works part time so...yeah. Anyway, good for you, sounds like it's a great move for you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.