Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Training

Let's all agree that "potty training" is a completely embarrassing phrase to say out loud, putting on blast just how far you've come from the days of sleeping-till-1, brunches made from micro greens, another nap at 3, and then drinking an artisanal beer or something.

Last week after my dance class, I asked the owner what age kids can start.

"Three."

"Oh! Great. And I assume they need to be potty trained?" (Wince. I carried a watermelon?!)

(Extra strength silence, look of disgust, etc. etc.) "God. Yes."

Terrible.

All that being said, we're doing...that right now.

And it's been pretty breezy. I'm basically housebound and grounded -- and my house looks terrifying for it -- but there aren't any crazy stories (and if there were, I probably wouldn't want to tell on her to the Internets...probably).

Part of that is we haven't ventured out into the scary Westport world yet (and I'm sure there will be adventures then, oh I'm suuuure) and part of that is because I waited till she was ready ready ready. I mean honestly, I'm dragging my feet even now because...diapers are easy. And I'm tired. And truthfully, I'm just not ready for her to be an un-baby yet. But it was time.

So my biggest p'training tip? Watch for signs of readiness. Then ignore them and wait six months. They'll nail it.



3 comments:

  1. Ha! Good advice! And good luck! L is finally fully potty trained...has been since about 2 weeks after my little pity party post about her not pooping on the potty. But I'm terrified to do a post declaring her potty trained. I feel like I will be jinxing myself and then she will regress back to pooping in her pants. Silly? Maybe. But still not worth the risk in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny! I'll keep this advice in mind when I get past "the days of sleeping-till-1, brunches made from micro greens, another nap at 3, and then drinking an artisanal beer or something."

    ReplyDelete
  3. What dance class? Is that the one at the intersection?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.