
This will begin to reveal itself even more as the list goes on, but I am a serious fool for all things mystery. And all things British. So combine the two and there'll be a real problem with me leaving the couch. The stories of Sherlock Holmes are smart and creepy and quirky and the genius that put these on the screen should get a bear hug. Yes, if you have to make a choice between reading the stories and seeing the program, you should read the stories. But that's obviously a ridiculous "if" posed in a ridiculous world I wouldn't want to live.
I have to watch this one with the sound jacked up, because the production quality of each episode is always questionable. It's unfortunate, because this is a program where every line is of the utmost importance. (See how fun it is to talk like him?) At the same time, the characters' facial expressions are close-to-unbearably intense, so you can usually tell what's going on with the sound off.
Jeremy Brett plays Sherlock and is beyond fantastic. He's probably 89% of the reason I watch this show. Sometimes he's whispering and then yells things at the top of his lungs just because he can. I always look around the room like really? Am I the only one who cares that he just did that? Admittedly, I'm confused whether he's a real person or not.
The answer to "What did you do Thursday night?" should probably never be "Watched Sherlock Holmes" but I'm also the girl who'd choose a bagel with Nutella over a beer every single time.
Brett is Holmes.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite line - "The game's afoot"