
I just got my first issue of New York magazine in the mail yesterday, bringing my total received publications with "New York" in the title to two. Sometimes three when I treat myself to the Times, which always makes the day a good one. I'm not even obsessed with NYC, which might be the takeaway from my mailbox. I just can't resist the allure of all that erudite nonsense in a neat, tidy package.
This issue happens to be an extra-fantastic one, all about design and designers and all the pretty things they do. It's got me thinking about my Christmas list and all the things I don't at all need but quite definitely want.
For example, the fantastic, oversized Stendig calendar featured above. Designed by the super couple, Massimo and Lella Vignelli (they also designed the Bloomingdales logo! and the NYC subway map! and those cool Knoll stackable chairs! and I can barely make a cupcake!) in 1966, it says "I'm a liberal city dweller and I'm sophisticated and know some stuff" in addition to "I'm a little bit crazy, but still organized" and yet still getting across that "Mary Tyler Moore is my hero and I wish she'd come over for tea and throw her hat in the air for me."
She threw her hat in the air because she just quit her 6-2 coffee shop job and everything that goes along with that...
ReplyDelete