When I interned at McSweeney’s I did some time in the Mission, too – albeit a trendier, cleaner part where hipsters abound, vegan t-shirts are sold and tiny cheeseburgers cost $7 a pop. But walk two blocks over to the intern-budget-approved strip and you’ll get a slice, a salad and grape soda for $3.00, crammed inside a steamy store corner, watching old men out on their stoops smoking cigars in dingy undershirts.
The block I school on has a few trendy dive bars and nice restaurants, but walk a little further and it’s chock-a-block full of enormous dollars stores, abandoned store fronts and barbers promising a $2 haircut. (I’m tempted.)
Along this stretch is a sign for the defunct New Mission Theater. I can’t fully explain it, but every time I walk by and look u-p (because the sign stretches 70 feet hi-gh) I get goosebumps. Maybe because every morning on my bus ride I see more and more stores shutting down or maybe it’s just the sad juxtaposition of dollar stores and old timey glamour, but something about it gets me every time.

I did an image search on my newly-restored Internets and found the above shot on this rad photography blog, MY SF. He’s really captured the vibe just right.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.