| Terrifying. |
So I gave in and signed us up for Gymboree. If you're not familiar, it's sort of like baby ...preschool/gymnastics/music lessons? I'd heard good things from other mamas and I'm always looking for stuff to do during the day, so I gave it a go. And even though the whole thing sort of weirded me out (creepy sing-song teacher who refused to speak in a normal voice plus the other parents didn't make eye contact plus Harps chewed on this toy and blue ink came off it), I signed up for it after our free trial. Because...I'm crazy? No, because I did like the songs and routines and developmental stuff it teaches and because it kills time and seems safe in a we-make-sure-pedophiles-don't-get-near-her sort of way.
But then. That postcard up top showed up. Telling me Gymbo (their...mascot?) says hello. And, well, that sort of made me die a little inside.
The back had a lovely (?) handwritten note from the sing-songing elf, telling us she looked forward to seeing us again soon. Clearly, this wasn't her idea and then the scary awful doll was on the front and *shudder* -- I just no likey.
And then. This morning I went to story time at our (within walking distance!) library. And it was great. Lots more babies, lots friendlier caretakers (lots were nannies -- but that's another post for another time), there were songs and books and...free! Free free freeeeeedom. Oh and no clowns. An unexpected new prerequisite for all our activities! Who knew.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLibraries are free? Then how do they make money? Ads?
ReplyDeleteOH man clowns. Don't even get me started. I mean it's 2010, don't people know clowns are M- F- SCARY?
ReplyDelete