Friday, February 06, 2009

Had quite the of-the-times moment

yesterday morning in Mill Valley, a poshy suburb nestled in Redwoods across the Golden Gate. Why I was there will remain a secret for now.

But anyways. It was raining and I was drinking a chai and eating an onion bagel at a small table in a small cafe bookstore. (All of those words together = my paradise.) Two hip, stay-at-home dads walk up and ask if if they can sit next to me. Sure, I say.

Dad #1: "Wow. Does nobody work anymore?"
Dad #2: "Looks like no. Ha!"

And it was true. The place was packed with usually-employed types. Strangely, the vibe wasn't frantic; I think everyone was just happy to be eating onion bagels. They're pretty cheap, but plenty delicious.

Dad #1: "It's kind of cozy, all us folks being unemployed together!"
Dad# 2: "Yeah! It is!"

Then they sat down and schemed up some business ideas ("Let's do what we really WANT to do for once!") and I read a rather sad George Saunders short story and licked cream cheese off my fingers.

It was a nice morning. And yes, rather cozy indeed.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds nice... I wish there was a designated unemployment cafe like that in Brooklyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:15 PM

    it was very cozy, but very yuppy; you prolly woulda puked. there's gotta be a hipster version in your 'hood!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.