Thursday, February 19, 2009

Maybe the cutest exchange I’ve ever heard

After chugging two large cups of caffeine pre-class, I was in pain by the middle of the proceedings. Sneaking out the back door, I hurried outside my annex classroom and into the bathroom across the way.

Exiting the stall that I promptly re-entered, was a white lady in her 60's, sporting a striped sweater and Mom jeans. She looked like she might teach piano and cook her bran muffins with soy milk. Already washing her hands at the sink was a sassy multi-culti girl in her twenties. She looked at little like Claudia from The Babysitter’s Club. (OH YOU READ THEM, TOO.) It was clear they didn't know each other.

As I begin the pee behind closed doors, I hear:

Piano Teacher: Sigh.
Claudia: Don’t make that face at yourself! You look good!
Piano Teacher: Startled. No, I don't! I’m never happy with how I look.
Claudia: Wow! Why?
Piano Teacher: Uh, I don’t know. I’m just… not.
Claudia: You should LOVE yourself. You look good!

The whole dialogue was so wacky and sweet and really illustrative of the City College experience. People from different walks of life that would never interact otherwise, sharing little moments.

The bathrooms on the other hand? Not so sweet.

2 comments:

  1. Aww i love it - so heartwarming. There's gotta be some kind of collection of things overheard while tinkling... happens often dont ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you tell them how you pee in the shower?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.