And finally, yesterday at Whole Foods, I bought one. Along with an almond croissant for my mouth and a chocolate croissant for Manjiri's. We ate them while we drank chai and played with her little Bean. It was a lovely way to spend a Saturday morning, as the fog whipped around outside.
But back to the pie.
There's nothing quite so lovely as pie, no? It takes a lot of work to make a good one. I didn't always like pie as much as I did cake or fudge or sundaes, but now I can't stop thinking about it. I picked out a peach and blueberry beauty and I've been savoring it...my precious. The microwave just beeped after a 30 second heat-up and I yelled, "Coming, honey!"
I s'pose I should learn to make my own pie? Does anyone have any tips? I know there's something about ice water for the crust. Or I could just keep heading to Whole Foods for all my pie needs. Store-bought when the store is WH isn't too shabby.
In other news, Clay is playing a video game where his character hops in a sewage truck and sprays poo on people. Wanna come over and watch with me?
Pie actually isn't too terribly hard. The crust is the most difficult part, at least for me, just because my mom's recipe calls for adding water slowly until the dough is the perfect consistency, and I usually mess up about that perfect consistency thing. I tend to cheat on pie: sometimes I make my own crust, but often I will by premade crusts and then make up for it by making my own really good filling.
ReplyDeleteFilling is easy. Take whatever you want in the pie (apples, blueberrie, peaches, strawberries and rhubard, etc. - leave the peels on to make it easier and so you can claim that your pie is "rustic") add a few tablespoons of flour, about 1 cup sugar, 2ish teaspoons of cinnamon, a little nutmeg, and a little bit of ground cloves (as you can tell, we're not big on measuring in my family). Mix until all the fruit is coated and put in the pie dish. Put a few pads of butter on top, then put the other pie crust on. My mom likes to write messages on the top crust using a fork. Bake at 375 for an hour-ish (we're not big on timers, either) or until the filling is bubbling out of the sides of the crust and the crust is golden. Good tip: put the pie plate on top of a cookie sheet in the oven; it will catch the filling overflow and then your oven won't smoke for months.
So that was maybe less of a hint and more of a disjointed recipe?
I have no idea how to make pie but I would gladly eat some with you while wattching video game..for a few minutes until it was time for SVU.
ReplyDeleteCheck the Down Home Cookin'recipe book from Oklahoma. I know there are many recipes from great cooks. My mom uses a recipe with two tbsp. of vinegar; she makes the best. Cindy
ReplyDeletethanks for the recipe, meredith!! hot damn, you rock.
ReplyDeletei'll check the down home book, too -- love that sucker!
Don't get me started on pecan pie. Really, don't.
ReplyDelete