
Most of my memories from fifth and sixth grade involve me sitting on the brown velveteen couch in the back room of my house, eating Nutter Butters, and playing Super Mario Brothers 3 with my little brother. My mom never really supported the video game thing - we were the family who had "no tv!" days and a ban on sugar cereals - but was pleased with how well the NES babysat us. Instead of fighting, my brother and I would join forces against the evils of Bowser, and kick some serious elementary school ass. Warm memories indeed.
In college, I tried to recapture old times by purchasing a used system on eBay, but it just wasn't the same. It would turn wonky after an hour or a roommate would tell me a way to beat the whole thing in five minutes ("without having to play any levels!") and I'd get sort of depressed. But then.
I saved up all the fake monies from my credit card rewards and bought myself a Nintendo DS Lite. It's like a Gameboy except more awesome. Two screens - one of which is touch activated - and the picture is kickin; super bright with really vibrant colors and crazy graphics. It's like your old NES on crack.
The best part so far? Super Mario Brothers. Ka-chow! I plug myself in and instantly teleport back to 1993 - platform jumping, the block busting I know and love, and that old school music that still haunts my dreams. But this game has some new tricks up its sleeve for sure. Example? The Mini Mushroom that turns Mario into a super tiny jumping dynamo, allowing him to sneak into hidden places and bounce off enemies. Loves it. Now - if only I could round up some Nutter Butters...
I beat that game in like 6 minutes.
ReplyDelete