So I was going to launch into a full blown rundown of the classes I started this week, but then I realized it's all a little confusing, even to me, and maybe I owe everyone, even me, a debrief of how I got here.
Before you start, let's just say I'm great at committing to one dude, not so great at committing to one career. We'll start in 2004:
After getting a BA in psych, which qualified me to do nothing, I worked with autistic kids for a year, burnt out, snagged a job in publishing. Started as receptionist (soul killing work - be nice to the ones you meet), moved up to sales coordinator, met a lot of my favorite YA authors - and Bill Ayers! - took the coolness for granted.
Quit that job after a year, acted in a play my friends wrote/directed. I wore handcuffs, kissed/groped a girl, and appeared in my underwears. Fun, but turned me off acting (again) - just not good for me to spend that much time thinking about me.
Moved to Caifornia, interned at a yoga magazine, interned at McSweeney's, nannied a baby whose mom was so neurotic she didn't bathe him and he smelled bad. I didn't know babies could smell bad. Somehow got a job at a schmancy advertising agency, worked my ass off, got promoted over champagne, quit because I was spending more time crying in the bathroom than at my desk.
Spent seven months not working. Got my soul back, planned my wedding, went on long walks, picked wildflowers, read books. Missed people, missed moneys, got a job here filling in for a woman on maternity leave thru March. Took a trip home, freaked out to mom about my career, discussed my love for kids/creativity/literacy, decided I'd take some early education classes and go from there. And so tada. I'm taking the four core classes - which will qualify me for preschool jobs - and working hard for the money.
The community college experience is so different from the private university experience I don't know where to begin. And nope, it's not a simple comparison, one better than the other. Which is surprising - to me, at least. I've got lots to say, but I'm beyond sleepy and still have to write about my five happy things. I'll write about classes tomorrow, mmkah? Mmkah.
But let me just leave you with this, the heading to a poster some students made today:
"It takes a villagge to raise a child."
It also takes a dictionary.
1. my last class being in a great part of the mission. lots of foodz to try.
2. the six month old canadian candy bar from my honeymoon i found during class, just before passing out from hunger.
3. julie andrews singing this song. just try and stay in a bad mood, you.
4. how well i sleep when i don't nap + overcaffeinate
5. frozen grapes
around herez you don't have to have any qualifications to be a preschool teacher. i'm pretty sure you just have to be
ReplyDeletea) older than 12
b) breathing
:\ ... it's odd. but anything above that & you have to have a 4 year degree of course.
your combination with those classes + psychology should enable you to work at some pretty neat childcare centers... maybe even start your ownnnn some day
ps) frozen grapes.
ReplyDeletei like the "red" (THEY ARE PURPLE) ones. my grandma taught me about themz.
i'm into adding z's to stuff right now.
ok, i let it go once but now I have to know...what is mmkah?
ReplyDelete@kalen - you think like my husband. :) he wants me/us to learn the ropes that open up our own kick ass school.
ReplyDelete@kelly - say it aloud and then you'll know. it's a) how you ask if people agree with what you're saying and b) agreeing with what someone else is saying.
we usually abbreviate it to "kah" - as in
"is that kah?" (is that okay)
"i'll be there around 3:00"
"kah."
once you start you won't be able to stop.
i have confidence... i still listen to it on the subway on the way to work. and if i'm feeling particularly foul? the whole damn soundtrack.
ReplyDeleteStill think your a NYC DA - get the bad guys
ReplyDelete