Sunday, May 03, 2009

I'm stealing Internets

From my husband. Because he has a card that finds it like magic and I don't. There are roughly three things about the corporate world I miss and that's one. (Free snacks and paychecks > three dollars being the others.)

I am reporting to you amongst chaos, people. But controlled chaos. Friday night it was not. Friday night I couldn't imagine a life without squalor and despair. I had to keep pressing pause on the OCD tape running in my head - RESISTANCE IS FUTILE YOUR MIND WILL EXPLODE BECAUSE THE SNOWBOARD HELMETS ARE MIXED WITH THE SHARPIES JUST GIVE UP AND DIE - take a deep breath and unpack another box. Eventually, things got more manageable; but not without the help of lots of pizza and lots of Car Talk. Yeah, I like it. Zip it.

Moving day was stupid, as expected. Our moving team was great - fast and friendly and one had a killer Mass accent - so that wasn't the issue. What was? The rude, Frasier-Crane-wannabes that live in our building. I guess we weren't supposed to move in past 4:00 so as to not offend their delicate sensibilities. Of course we didn't arrive till 4 on the nose and oh MY it was fugly. They told us NO, they told us HALT and we, uh, just ignored them. What were we gonna do? Turn around and put the stuff back? We're both in the ask forgiveness, not permission camp -- which took them awhiles to grasp.

We (they) hauled ass getting everything upstairs (back and forth from the depths of the garage up to the twelfth floor) in the rain and through the protests and glares of our new neighbors. We were RULE BREAKERS, we were BREAKING THE RULES and they didn't want us to forget it. We had the following conversation about ten times:

"You cannot move in past 4:00."
"Yup!"
"You just can't."
"Got it!"

Then the elevator door would shut on them and off we'd go again. It was funny. I also grew an ulcer.

But we're all moved in now and almost all moved out of the old place. We've just gotta clean out the fridge and hire someone to clean it. Good riddance, suckas.

Other than the rude mofos up in this piece, we're really digging it. The view is lovely to live with, it's quiet, it feels ginormous to us (at a whole 800 square feet) and oh my god -- two bathrooms? We don't even know what to do with ourselves. Peeing at the same time feels luxurious and a little wrong.

We've still got a lot of unpacking to do and utilities to set up, but it's coming together and I'm pleased as punch.

P.S. I'm going to start saying things like that now. Because I feel like this place is where a fancy grandmother with fancy candies and fancy soaps should live. And she'd say that.

Back to the piles.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I have been checking throughout the day to see if you were in the new place. Your fans will forgive while you get it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! So excited. I demand pics again, because the view last time was so gorgeous. I love that you just ignored your neighbors. Good for you!

    Good luck w/ the craziness of unpacking. I HATE packing and unpacking, as I've said. I hope it goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I say things like "pleased as punch" and "dreadfully crowded" and my sisters never cease to make fun of me. It's awesome. They think I talk like a 1930's film actress. Do you have sisters? Because that's what you have to look forward to if you starting using phrases like that. Or maybe your sisters are nice people, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats again; Car Talk is great; who makes a dumb rule about when you have to stop moving in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pictures very soon! Uploading and doing the whole pic thing from Clay's comp makes my brain spin, so it'll be a couple more days. Plus, the place looks...not good yet.

    And why all the fuss over 4:00? Well, most everyone in the building OWNS but us -- so they pay all these fees and have all these fancy rules for their fancy lives. We're so the riff raff and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy1:55 PM

    What is Car Talk?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.