Sunday, October 30, 2011

Last sleep

Climbing trees today in our across-the-street park.

 It feels completely unreal that tonight is our last night in this house. Especially because all of our stuff is still out; I'm cozily watching a little teevs in the front room, surrounded by my books and pics and lamps and pretty blue Ikea curtains. All here tonight, all in boxes tomorrow. Thank you life for providing us with packers and movers -- otherwise, I'd probably be in the fetal position, murmuring sweet nothings to my mind-that-was.

Still, it makes the whole thing (surreal already) even stranger. I found myself throughout the weekend trying to explain to Harper this was her last couple nights here, that Denver would soon be a memory. Over a cereal bar and milk (meals are on the decidedly unfancy side lately), I discussed with her our favorite places and people and things we're leaving behind. She just kept looking around frantically for each thing as I named it, so that game ended pretty quickly. Still. I do believe even tiny tiny ones understand more than we think they do, and I like to imagine she's understanding the change even on a vague level.

I wonder how I'll one day look back on this year-and-a-half in Denver. It was an unbelievably challenging time for us (I do hate to be vague with details on this; they're not my details to share...but oh hell, oh yes, things are in a much better place now) and I think it will be hard not to identify this town with all the scary shit that went down. But at the same time, we found a lot of joy here. We had so many little adventures and laughed and laughed. We learned how to be a real family unit, pretty damn indestructible. We watched Harper learn to crawl and then walk and then talk. We got real healthy, we gained a planet of empathy, we changed for the better. I think we'll look back with a smile.

I'm really excited for this move. It feels right. It feels like mama bear's doing the smart thing for her family, putting us all in a stronger position to thrive and grow and take on whatever life wants to throw our way next.

Kapowpow Connecticut kapow!

9 comments:

  1. How exciting! But... are flights even going into CT right now? Just talked to my sis who is in Hartford and they are saying no power there for possibly a week and the place is a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We won't be flying out till Wednesday (staying in a hotel bc we've got some last minute things to do) -- so hopefully airport will be okay by then! Fingers crossed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Safe travels!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice post of reflections. I know you will miss the little school park, and it has been great for Harper during these toddling times. But new roads, beaches ahead. Hope you have a great flight, and I am so happy that I got to see some of Denver terrain while you were there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always the brave trail blazer...so happy you and the fam are headed this way. Safe Travels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CT is indeed a disaster right now (speaking as someone whose entire life has shut down because of this damn snow storm), but I think your new neck of the woods is in a slightly better situation than others.
    This was a lovely post, by the way. Sounds like you've got it all figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you all! fingers crossed we'll be in our new (temp) digs tomorrow night...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck, and I agree with FVM, a lot of outages in Conn., probably a good idea to check your destination status.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All good on the receiving end -- now fingers crossed we can get out of Denver today...Big time snow.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.